There is no legitimate service dog certification or registration in the United States. Training and testing guidelines set forth by Assistance DogInternational are the closest thing to regulations of the industry.
You do not need ID, service dog tags, a service dog vest, certifications for public access, housing or flying although Perfect Fit Canines does require that all dogs in training and all placed dogs wear a vest and carry I.D..
Service dogs and their handlers cannot be prohibited accessfrom public venues except under the following circumstances:
U.S. Code of Federal Regulations §36.202(C) (2)
· Shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person’s disability.
· Can ask:
-if the animal is required because of a disability; and
-what work or task the animal is trained to perform, but cannot ask for the task to be demonstrated.
A public accommodation cannot require documentation such as proof the animal has been certified or licensed as a service dog.
A public accommodation cannot charge a surcharge for the presence of the service animal.
A public accommodation can ask:
· An individual with a service animal to remove the animal from the premises if: (i) the animal is out of control and the animal’s handler does not take action to control it; or (i) the animal is not housebroken.
· The handler may remain and continuetheir business.
· Allowed as long as presence does notpose threat to standard medical practices and care.
· Not allowed in burn units, maternity wards or any area requiring masks and foot wear or in operating rooms.
CFR Code ofFederal Regulations
ADA Americans with Disabilities Act – www.ada.gov
-Dog in school is not an IEP issue. Dogs in schools are a right under ADA
FHAA: Fair Housing Amendment Act
ACAA: Air Carrier Access Act,
– Airlines cannot charge excess fee for service dog
– Dog flies in main cabin. Ask for bulk head seating.
ADA Business Brief
ADI Guide to Assistance Dog Law